apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: No v1.6.x branch?
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 08:25:43 GMT
Am Montag, 21. April 2014, 15:26:59 schrieb Graham Leggett:
> > New features seem rather easy to follow using trunk/CHANGES and-or
> > a diff of the include directories.  For finer detail, it is much
> > easier for a person who cares to record revision numbers of
> > desired feature backports in trunk/STATUS than for everyone to
> > have to touch an additional branch for bug fixes, and then double
> > check before we actually release it since we've had issues with
> > that in the past.
> The shortcut you're describing is technical debt. Instead of the
> person who wants the fix and/or feature committed doing the work of
> committing it to various branches that work falls to others who are
> probably not in a position to make the backport as carefully or
> test it as thoroughly. This introduces stability problems we just
> don't want.

It's a trade-off between two kinds of technical debts.

1) If you create branch 1.n+1 late, you have to go through trunk to
see if no new features have been missed.

2) If you create branch 1.n+1 early, you have to go through 1.n to see
that no bug fixes have been missed.

Missing bug fixes in unreleased 1.x branches definitely has been a
problem in the past. I prefer missing features to re-introduced bugs
and therefore option 1).

A way to have both would be a pre-commit hook that (once the 1.n+1
branch is created) rejects commits to 1.n that do not reference a
commit in 1.n+1 in their commit message or merge info. But I don't
know if this can be easily done in svn. Or if people would even want
that.

Another idea to limit the work to search for missing bug fixes would
be to release new features much more often. Basically you would branch
1.n+1 when you want to commit the first feature to it. After that, one
could limit the life-time of 1.n. Maybe only one more release or only
3 more months, or something like that.