apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: No v1.6.x branch?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:17:24 GMT
On 22 Apr 2014, at 3:04 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO as a httpd+apr dev:
>
> * If httpd trunk switches to apr escape API to the extent practical and throws out its
own implementation, and unreleased APR features are the natural way to accommodate that, I
think that is ample justification for a new APR 1.x branch.  (Otherwise, continue to patch
up the httpd escape API to support backporting to 2.4.x as necessary.)

I don't want to import an ldap escaping implementation into httpd at all only to immediate
deprecate it and plan to rip it out. What LDAP escaping mechanism that is baked in already
doesn't follow the RFC consistently, and I want to fix that from the get go.

With v1.5.1 out with build fixes to the apr_escape API, it is now time to swap out the legacy
escaping support in httpd for the APR version, given that the APR version uses less memory
than the httpd versions (memory allocation is exact, not worst case scenario of strlen()*3).

> * In httpd 2.4.x-land, I think everyone should try reasonably hard to avoid depending
on newer and newer levels of APR for this or that feature.  For us it is a very minor detail
but for users it is something else to stumble over in case their distro or their own prior
efforts got them a level of APR which is generally ok.

Agreed.

Regards,
Graham