apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: No v1.6.x branch?
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:26:59 GMT
On 21 Apr 2014, at 3:16 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> r1588878, and soon if practical, given we've just released v1.5.1.
>
> What does that commit have to do with having just released 1.5.1?

The commit is an addition to the API, and as such as not eligible for backport to the v1.5.x
branch as per our versioning rules. Having just released v1.5.x people may not be keen on
v1.6 so soon after, or maybe they are. Either way no way to tell, seeing v1.6.x doesn't exist.

> New features seem rather easy to follow using trunk/CHANGES and-or a diff of the include
directories.  For finer detail, it is much easier for a person who cares to record revision
numbers of desired feature backports in trunk/STATUS than for everyone to have to touch an
additional branch for bug fixes, and then double check before we actually release it since
we've had issues with that in the past.

The shortcut you're describing is technical debt. Instead of the person who wants the fix
and/or feature committed doing the work of committing it to various branches that work falls
to others who are probably not in a position to make the backport as carefully or test it
as thoroughly. This introduces stability problems we just don't want.

Regards,
Graham