apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: No v1.6.x branch?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:04:07 GMT
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2014, at 3:38 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Let's bring this down to earth.  Do you to promote a 1.6.x
> branch/release soon-ish (e.g., within a month or so) and discuss what new
> features various developers are interested in promoting for 1.6.x, or do
> you just want to have the branch pick up changes steadily until 1.6.x
> gradually acquires different constituencies that want/need a feature relase?
> Promote a v1.6.x soonish would be good for me. I have a need to teach the
> ap_expr parser how to escape LDAP in order to support the ability to handle
> arbitrary expressions in both of httpd's "require ldap-filter" and a
> proposed "require ldap-search".
> Right now we support expressions in "require ldap-filter" but we don't
> have the ability to escape LDAP sequences, which limits the usefulness of
> the feature. mod_authnz_ldap had buried escaping in it that I missed when I
> tried to tease all the escaping code out of httpd, which was a pity.
> Regards,
> Graham
> --
IMHO as a httpd+apr dev:

* If httpd trunk switches to apr escape API to the extent practical and
throws out its own implementation, and unreleased APR features are the
natural way to accommodate that, I think that is ample justification for a
new APR 1.x branch.  (Otherwise, continue to patch up the httpd escape API
to support backporting to 2.4.x as necessary.)
* In httpd 2.4.x-land, I think everyone should try reasonably hard to avoid
depending on newer and newer levels of APR for this or that feature.  For
us it is a very minor detail but for users it is something else to stumble
over in case their distro or their own prior efforts got them a level of
APR which is generally ok.

Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message