apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: APR Util Question
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2014 15:15:58 GMT
On 01 Feb 2014, at 4:24 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand that...
>
> I guess the reasons that these particular RPMs are "system libraries" are:
>
> * they use the same package names as the normal APR packages for RHEL/Fedora-based systems
> * (unless some special effort is made) they install to the same location as the nomral
APR packages

> With a different package name and prefix (not unheard of with APR) they are not system
libraries.

That's correct.

The idea is that they are drop in replacements for the system libraries. RPM has built in
features to ensure that the right libraries match up, and that conflicting packages fail to
install.

In this case though someone had overridden APR with a private copy on their LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
and RPM can't help with that. The solution was to remove the competing copy.

Regards,
Graham