apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: ftok (Was: Re: svn commit: r1561150 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/core.c)
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 23:20:14 GMT
It's easy to generate something unique... the problem is that
external APR users (such as mod_fcgid, etc) occasionally need
to adjust the segment resources, and thus call ftok(...). Unless
both APR *and* the users use the same proj_id, then they won't
get the right segment (if at all).

I just couldn't think of an easy way to get around that
except for having 1.5.1 break ABI.

What we need is apr_shm_ftok() that replaces ftok, both
internally to unix/shmem.c as well as to users. We still
would need to worry about versioning there as well since
APR consumers would need to be aware if that function
exists or not.

On Jan 24, 2014, at 6:00 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to the man (http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009696899/functions/ftok.html),
ftok() uses only the low-order 8-bits of the id.