apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Was your APR patch ignored?
Date Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:12:25 GMT
On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> If it was posted only to the mailing list, make sure there is a bug opened
> for it at https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/

To clarify something that somebody just e-mailed me directly about:

There's nothing inherently wrong with posting a patch to the mailing list,
and if it is ignored there it isn't because it didn't follow some sort of
secret rule book.  The hint about the bug database is simply because it
will be out of sight/out of mind if no one takes an interest within a week
or so, whereas it can't disappear from the bug list.

--/--

Hey devs, what other hints might we collect together?  We have this doc:
http://apr.apache.org/patches.html  The part that is hard to describe is
what to do when nobody takes interest.  Sending a reminder to the dev@ list
every couple of weeks?  Sure.  But often there is a lack of motivation
among independent devs to make a judgement on issues of scope or
appropriateness (contrasted with "good" or "bad" code changes); somebody
eventually has to say something and hope that it will elicit a clear
positive or negative response from other devs.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/