apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CMake build doesn't define 'WINNT', but apr headers check for it anyway
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:52:05 GMT
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Bert Huijben <bert@qqmail.nl> wrote:

>                 Hi,
>

> On Windows apr_arch_misc.h checks for the ‘WINNT’ define, which was
> unconditionally defined on Windows before the CMake build. But now it is no
> longer defined. This enables some additional dynamic load operations that
> could fail in some cases (See “Race condition in
> APR_DECLARE_LATE_DLL_FUNC() implementation”).

There's also a potential for other breakage, e.g., by not using Unicode FS
operations.

Even libaprutil.rc looks for WINNT.  I'm not sure that it can find it,
though; I guess that was copied from libapr.rc without creating a way to
define it.

> We could fix this by defining WINNT, but we might as well just remove the
> check as we don’t support systems older than NT 4.0 anyway..
>

>                 Bert

I thought we didn't either, but the support was never removed from the
traditional Windows build system or from the code.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/