apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mattias EngdegÄrd <matti...@bredband.net>
Subject Re: Event and atomics, round II
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2014 13:49:18 GMT
9 jan 2014 kl. 14.37 skrev Jim Jagielski:

> However, if a is 4,294,967,200, then the behavior
> of (int)a is undefined and implementation dependent,
> since you can't express that value within the
> limits of a signed int (assuming 32 bits).

No, it's not undefined but implementation-defined, which means that an
implementation can decide what to do as long as it documents it. There
is quite a difference.

All compilers I have ever used, and then some, treat conversions to
signed by modular reduction into the interval defined by that type.
Nothing else makes sense, and compilers won't start doing it

> My point is that the possibility in that case of
> (int)a resulting in 0 is pretty freakin' remote,
> even if it is undefined behavior ;)

It's not undefined behaviour.

View raw message