apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Was your APR patch ignored?
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2014 12:29:04 GMT

at https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/

> To clarify something that somebody just e-mailed me directly about:
>
> There's nothing inherently wrong with posting a patch to the mailing list, and if it
is ignored there it isn't because
> it didn't follow some sort of secret rule book.  The hint about the bug database is simply
because it will be out of
> sight/out of mind if no one takes an interest within a week or so, whereas it can't disappear
from the bug list.

> --/--
>
> Hey devs, what other hints might we collect together?  We have this doc: http://apr.apache.org/patches.html
 The part
to the dev@ list every couple of
> weeks?  Sure.  But often there is a lack of motivation among independent devs to make
a judgement on issues of scope or
> appropriateness (contrasted with "good" or "bad" code changes); somebody eventually has
to say something and hope that
> it will elicit a clear positive or negative response from other devs.

My general recipe in these cases to the sender is: be PPP: Patient, Polite, Persistent.
So bring up your case again and again from time to time but don't try to be too much of a
pest :-). And stay polite.
There is never bad will by the committers why your patch is being ignored. Most of the time
it is simply lack of
resources as they concentrate their resources on what looks more important from their point
of view.
So try to convince them that your stuff is important as well :-)

Regards

RĂ¼diger