Forwarding thread from Greg, whose post bounced...

(There was a related thread on users@httpd earlier.)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Greg Ames <gregames@apache.org>
Date: Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Subject: Re: apr / freebsd
To: Richard Kojedzinszky <krichy@cflinux.hu>
Cc: Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com>, dev <dev@apr.apache.org>

Hi Richard,

I retired from IBM last Jan, but still lurk on some of the apr/httpd mailing lists even though I haven't contributed any code in a long time.

Back when we came up with those lock hints, our priorities were
1. reliability,
2. simplicity for users (i.e. idiot proof), and
3. performance.

I know FreeBSD has matured in the last decade, so I wouldn't be surprised if the best default is different today.

re mod_fcgid: I haven't contributed anything to it, other than enthusiastic support of the concept.  I've cc'd people who are more actively involved with apr and mod_fcgid.

Best regards,
Greg Ames

on a sailboat anchored in the Sea of Abaco, Bahamas :-) looking at a red sunrise and Barometer Bob's forecast of an approaching cold front plus 25-35 knot winds tonight :(