Hi GŁnter,

I thought this is a new issue introduced in apr-1.5.0, but it turns out this functionality was passed along from httpd and the problem is most probably well-known to many of you.

Please note that not only GNU build is affected. This issue unfortunately needs to be addressed for each build system separately.

If someone asked me regarding a possible solution, I'd prefer to have 'apr_escape_test_char.h' pre-generated in the tree for all the operating systems under the 'arch' directory respectively. This would need to be done by the maintainer once in a while and seems to me much easier/cleaner than having 'gen_test_char' integrated into the common build routine.

Regards,
Arsen

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:06 PM, Guenter Knauf <fuankg@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Arsen,

On 20.11.2013 23:36, Arsen Chaloyan wrote:
> My understanding is the tool needs to be compiled natively no matter
> what the target platform is.

correct - are you up to provide a patch to the configure script?
we need to do something with vars like CC_FOR_BUILD etc. - but
unfortunately I'm not so fluent with configure scripts ;-)

BTW. we need same also for httpd - and I did at some time a new hack to
configure which I wanted to discuss - but I cant find ATM ...

greets, GŁnter.