apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SHA2 in APR
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 10:24:15 GMT

On 7 Nov 2013, at 05:57, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

>   Otherwise, it seems prudent to get out of
> the hashing business and rip out md/sha1 entirely from apr 2.

-1 to ripping: that's pulling the rug from under existing apps.
At worst, deprecate.

The question is about exposing existing sha2 code.
For: it's there, and serves someone's need.
Against: it would appear to be less than complete, and to need a
fair bit of work to look comprehensive.

I guess I should take yours as a vote against what I was mulling over:
namely inviting Dirkjan to submit a patch and commit if it WorksForMe
and noone shouts?

> I have no issue with providing a simple hash, these are used for just
> about all arbitrary string values where you need to uniquify them into
> a predictable byte token.

That sounds like existing apr_md5 apps.

--
Nick Kew