apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: testdup test fails when compiled in debug mode on Windows
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 05:33:09 GMT
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:07:37 -0800
Mike Rumph <mike.rumph@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 11/6/2013 1:06 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >
> > I just played with _commit() on stdin a bit.  It turns out that
> > _commit(0) fails if stdin is redirected (main.exe < somefile) but
> > works if stdin is a tty.  That's the opposite of _commit(1 or 2).
> > But I don't see how _commit(0) makes sense anyway, so I simply
> > removed the call instead of reversing the corresponding _isatty()
> > check in your patch.
> >
> > trunk: r1539455
> > 1.5.x branch: r1539461
> Okay Jeff,
>
> I just tried both stdout and stdin, and got the same results that you
> did. Strange but true.

IIRC the choice to _commit ahead of any handling of stdin/out/err
reflected the possibility that bytes were queued/stuck in the FILE or
the msvcrt 'fd' (not really an fd at all) before assuming ownership of
the file handle.  It might have been an overreaction to a problem that
wouldn't exist in practice.  But I'd prefer if this were left context
sensitive to _DEBUG mode builds.