apr-dev mailing list archives

From Arsen Chaloyan <achalo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Link errors in apr_atomic with VS2013
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 22:10:53 GMT

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:27 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 17:49:22 -0800 (PST)
>Arsen Chaloyan <achaloyan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> These errors are caused by the use of the new Platform Toolset v120
>> which gets installed with VS2013. More specifically, the problem is
>> in the function cast wrappers defined in apr_atomic.c and used only
>> for Win32 (x86) platform. Taking out the function casts helps resolve
>> the link errors with a penalty of having warning messages instead.
>
>Each time I've seen such issues, there is some -Define flag to
>circumvent the silly MSVC design team's choices.  Please look into
>the headers to see if there is a more straightforward workaround to
>revert to the 'classic' behavior first.
>
> Also, they probably have a support forum for early VS2013 adopters.  They might be able
to provide the right solution to work across releases.  (With no more warnings; there are
enough of those already to make it tedious to spot when new ones arrive.)

Well, the problem is actually not as complicated as it may have seemed. Let me clarify a bit.

In the Platform Toolset v120 (VS2013), the function InterlockedIncrement() and the friends
are specified with

#pragma intrinsic(_InterlockedIncrement)

for all the platforms, including x86. Whereas in the former versions of SDK, the intrisnic
pragma directive is used for x64 but NOT for x86. I can clearly see the difference comparing
the header files. And there doesn't seem to be any defines which would allow us to revert
the behavior.

Thus, the function casts introduced in apr_atomic.c resolve/work for former versions but cause
link errors with v120 since the function calls for x86 are now intrinsic as they have been
for x64.

Given all these differences between platforms and toolset versions, I'd simply not use the
function cast wrappers but still take care of the differences between APR and underlying Windows
interfaces. The attached patch allows to build the APR library without any warnings or errors
on/for both x86 and x64. Tested using VS2005, VS2010, and VS2013. Should also work for VS2008
and VS2012, not sure about VC6, though. I'd also combine the cases (#ifdefs) for x86 and x64
in apr_atomic.c.