On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:
On 10/15/2013 02:27 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

Or in a more APR-like fashion, add apr_shm_create_ex() and apr_shm_attach_ex() which have a special processing flag (bitmap).  For Windows,  APR_SHM_NS_LOCAL and APR_SHM_NS_GLOBAL would be respected.  That could be used by an app that can't with with APR's
imperfect attempts to manage global vs. local.  I don't think there is a perfect anyway.

As 1.5.x hasn't been released yet, the _ex() functions could be in it.

Replacing Global with Local would basically limit the apr_shm API and it won't
allow IPC using shm across sessions. With services running in Session0 shm is one
of the effective IPC mechanisms. Using _ex() api and making _create() and _attach()
as macros should do the trick. Although not sure what should be default (global or local)
I'd go for backward compatibility (no sudden surprises when changing version)

Yeah (backward compatibility); specifying APR_SHM_NS_LOCAL or _GLOBAL would bypass the current logic in trunk.  I still like the heuristic that allows non-privileged processes to collaborate via shared memory without adding any platform-specific flags.  The flag would be needed if an app wants to use Local even if the process might be privileged, or an app must use Global to operate (and fail if it is not privileged).

Regards
--
^TM

--