apr-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Smith <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: Timetable for APR 1.5 release?
Date Sat, 19 Oct 2013 17:32:22 GMT
On 10/19/2013 7:26 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Gregg Smith <gls@gknw.net
> <mailto:gls@gknw.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/17/2013 7:49 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>         On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Jeff Trawick
>         <trawick@gmail.com <mailto:trawick@gmail.com>
>         <mailto:trawick@gmail.com <mailto:trawick@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
>             On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Jeff Trawick
>         <trawick@gmail.com <mailto:trawick@gmail.com>
>         <mailto:trawick@gmail.com <mailto:trawick@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
>                 On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Jim Jagielski
>         <jim@jagunet.com <mailto:jim@jagunet.com>
>         <mailto:jim@jagunet.com <mailto:jim@jagunet.com>>> wrote:
>
>                     Subj sez it all.
>
>                     I've never been RM for APR but am willing to do
>         this one...
>

>                 I'm happy to take care of the RM work.
>
>                 Some things I'm interested in checking on for 1.5.x:
>
>                 * Compare 1.4.x<->1.5.x and see if anything was
>         missed.  (I'm
>                 pretty sure that there are some .h fixes that skipped
>         1.5.x;
>                 dunno what else.)
>                 * Add the cmake support.  (I purposefully skipped the
>         1.5.x
>                 branch when there was constant activity.)
>                 * Put in a couple of fixes for Cygwin that somebody opened
>                 bugs for in the last week or so.
>                 * Test MinGW static and shared builds in conjunction with
>                 APR-util 1.5.x.  (Should be okay; some fixes for
>         shared never
>                 hit the 1.4.x branch, so it would be good to ensure
>         this is
>                 finally working.)
>                 * Check for anything whatsoever that could be merged from
>                 trunk and see what to do, as presumably there won't be
>         another
>                 opportunity for a while.
>
>                 It would be good for T&R to be no sooner than next Monday.
>
>                 Any other thoughts on what to look at before T&R of
>         the first
>                 1.5.x release?
>
>                 --         Born in Roswell... married an alien...
>         http://emptyhammock.com/
>

>             I haven't forgotten :)  I want to wrap up the apr_shm stuff on
>             Windows and finish working through appropriate fixes that
>         aren't
>             in 1.5.x.  Additionally, the traditional Windows build
>         system is
>             not ready in the 1.5.x branch but maybe some kind soul will be
>             able to take care of that.
>

>         BTW, the stuff that seems to be missing from the traditional
>         Windows build system in the 1.5.x branch is
>
>         * apr_escape stuff including gen_test_char (I think trunk has
>         this in the Windows build system)
>

>     No, I see nothing in trunk for either.
>

> oops, sorry :(
>
>     I'd like to first rid the 1.5 traditional Windows build of the
>     Release9x & Debug9x targets. Anyone against this?
>

> no concerns here; is there code that can get deleted too?

probably, I would assume so, I haven't ran it down that far yet.

>     gen_test_char is straight forward enough, generates
>     apr_escape_test_char.h which is included in apr_escape.c.  I am
>     however compelled to think of httpd and this gets tricky when
>     building httpd in it's traditional build (since apr is built
>     during the httpd build) if I need to first build gen_test_char so
>     I can generate the header before compiling the libs. Since this is
>     not needed in APR < 1.5, to do this in httpd may create a
>     requirement for APR 1.5 in httpd. Not sure that's a bad thing.
>

> I'm confused.  httpd still has its own gen_test_char when generates a
> certain .h, and apr now has one that generates a different .h.  Why
> wouldn't the build continue to run both programs when building httpd
> 2.4 in conjunction with apr 1.5?  (I assume that in the future httpd
> trunk will consume apr_escape and not need both, but we're not there yet.)

httpd is a bunch of projects run in a certain order, gen_test_char is
just one of the many projects as is apr. apr is just a single project,
to build it's gen_test_char is another project that would need to be
added to the httpd build, or so was my 1 dimensional thinking at the
time. I've since realized it can be done w/o being a separate project.
So false alarm, my bad, sorry.