apr-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Smith <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: Timetable for APR 1.5 release?
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 03:08:43 GMT
On 10/17/2013 7:49 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com
> <mailto:trawick@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com
>     <mailto:trawick@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com
>         <mailto:jim@jagunet.com>> wrote:
>
>             Subj sez it all.
>
>             I've never been RM for APR but am willing to do this one...
>

>         I'm happy to take care of the RM work.
>
>         Some things I'm interested in checking on for 1.5.x:
>
>         * Compare 1.4.x<->1.5.x and see if anything was missed.  (I'm
>         pretty sure that there are some .h fixes that skipped 1.5.x;
>         dunno what else.)
>         * Add the cmake support.  (I purposefully skipped the 1.5.x
>         branch when there was constant activity.)
>         * Put in a couple of fixes for Cygwin that somebody opened
>         bugs for in the last week or so.
>         * Test MinGW static and shared builds in conjunction with
>         APR-util 1.5.x.  (Should be okay; some fixes for shared never
>         hit the 1.4.x branch, so it would be good to ensure this is
>         finally working.)
>         * Check for anything whatsoever that could be merged from
>         trunk and see what to do, as presumably there won't be another
>         opportunity for a while.
>
>         It would be good for T&R to be no sooner than next Monday.
>
>         Any other thoughts on what to look at before T&R of the first
>         1.5.x release?
>
>         --
>         Born in Roswell... married an alien...
>         http://emptyhammock.com/
>

>     I haven't forgotten :)  I want to wrap up the apr_shm stuff on
>     Windows and finish working through appropriate fixes that aren't
>     in 1.5.x.  Additionally, the traditional Windows build system is
>     not ready in the 1.5.x branch but maybe some kind soul will be
>     able to take care of that.
>

> BTW, the stuff that seems to be missing from the traditional Windows
> build system in the 1.5.x branch is
>
> * apr_escape stuff including gen_test_char (I think trunk has this in
> the Windows build system)

No, I see nothing in trunk for either. I'd like to first rid the 1.5
traditional Windows build of the Release9x & Debug9x targets. Anyone
against this?

gen_test_char is straight forward enough, generates
apr_escape_test_char.h which is included in apr_escape.c.  I am however
compelled to think of httpd and this gets tricky when building httpd in
it's traditional build (since apr is built during the httpd build) if I
need to first build gen_test_char so I can generate the header before
compiling the libs. Since this is not needed in APR < 1.5, to do this in
httpd may create a requirement for APR 1.5 in httpd. Not sure that's a
bad thing.

There is a existing pre-generated apr_escape_test_char.h in
apr/include/private but if differs slightly from the output I get when I
run gen_test_char on Windows. What I do get is consistent over the 3
different Windows versions on three different computers and two
different versions of MSVC.  The difference between them is;
-    32,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,31,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,
-    30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,6,16,63,22,17,22,49,17,
+    32,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,31,30,30,31,30,30,30,30,30,30,
+    30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,6,16,63,22,17,23,49,17,

Regardless of which I compile with (existing or freshly generated),
testescape succeeds. So I seem to have a few options and not sure which
way to turn.

1. build and run gen_test_char before compiling APR. This would need to
be duplicated in httpd which would create the requirement for APR 1.5.

2. Pre-generate on Windows apr_escape_test_char.h(w) and add to
apr/include/private in svn which could be dealt with during the APR
build just like apr.h is in Windows (simple and will not affect httpd
build).

3. Use the pre-generated one in apr/include/private (simpler and will
not affect httpd build).

I'm leaning toward #2. Comments?

> * generated makefiles

Can do.