apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Timetable for APR 1.5 release?
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2013 17:47:15 GMT
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 10:32:03 -0700
Gregg Smith <gls@gknw.net> wrote:

> > Suggestion - should we simply use the CROSS_COMPILE path when
> > building for win32 .dsp/.mak files, instead?
> You mean using the CMake and dropping the "Traditional build"
> completely? -1

Nope - simply /DCROSS_COMPILE in the [lib]apr.dsp/.mak files rather than
pre-copying apr.h.  I don't think that using apr feature detection and
headers buys us anything in compiling code which should 'just work' on
any compiler still in use in this century :)

> I currently do not see the problem with having both at this time. Of
> course, I am only one voice here. Once 1.5 is tagged I do not forsee
> any further problems arising since this should all be set in stone
> till 1.next/2.0.

I agree they can coexist for a time.  I was hoping that, in due time,
CMake can be cooerced (even on unix) to emit generic VC .mak files we
can replace the existing apr .mak files with, rather than using the
exported .dsp files, and still avoiding a -requirement- for every
user to install CMake themselves.  But that means delegating feature
detection for later rather than during CMake build file construction.
It should be fairly straightforward to do with pre-filling anticipated
dummy values into the CMake invocation, but something I hadn't had time
to experiment with, just yet.