On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:47:46 -0400
Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I plan to spend some time tilting at that windmill starting later this
> week, for the purposes of getting a flexible build on Windows.
> Enough time to get something working?  Dunno :(

Just FYI, RELWITHDEBINFO was a broken model, but that's the model we
have always aimed for with separate .pdb symbol files for win builds.
We want several things that the attached patch to cmake 2.8.7 addresses
(it isn't the most elegant, but it works);

* disable stack corruption^Woptimization so that user crash dumps
  with no debug info are still nominally decipherable

* a release build is *never* incremental (duh)

* /opt:ref to toss useless/unreferenced debug leftovers for release

* there was a stupid bug where shared lib link flags in RELWITHDEBINFO
  inherited DEBUG model, not RELWITHDEBINFO model from exe link flags.

I've never worked out how to propagate the actual .pdb file into the
install lib/ or bin/ dir when performing the .exe / .dll install step.
Hints on improving the patch would be great.

I guess all of this necessarily goes in the cmake backend, but possibly with a knob in the APR spec to turn it on?

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/