Is there any discussion yet of shipping this feature in 1.x as opposed to 2.0?  As Jeff wisely points out, the multitude of branches does become overwhelming for keeping bug fixes in sync across all.

Is it simple enough to keep it as a patch, for now, which you could easily apply to 1.6.x branch if and when it were created?