apr-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build-outputs.mk and generated headers
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:12:25 GMT
Hi Graham,
On 31.05.2013 23:34, Graham Leggett wrote:
> I have been putting together an apr_escape API based on the escaping
> and unescaping functions in httpd's util.c. So far so good. This code
> depends on the generation of a file called test_char.h, which is
> generated at build time by a small bit of code called
> gen_test_char.c. Httpd handles this bit fine, I need to reproduce
> this in the APR build.
I really dont like this; this gen_test_char.c thingy is one of the
problems we have with cross-compiling, and from my view it is not needed.
If you look at the source of gen_test_char.c you can see that it usually
includes the APR/APU headers only for getting some defines which are in
ctype.h of each and every platform - so if we dont have these defines
there, or no ctype.h at all for a platform, we simply can not support
this platform.
Then gen_test_char.c is kinda matured, and has not received any
significant updates, so the output of gen_test_char was probably
identical over the past 10+ years (ok, I've not actually checked the svn
logs, so I might be wrong). I believe we could just check in the result
test_char.h into svn, and if we ever have to change it we can
re-generate it with gen_test_char and update in svn; we do similar with
the regex headers in httpd which also were a bit problematic because of
different flex versions, and I think this works fine.

These are just my thoughts to tis topic - not a veto or such.

Gün.