apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: build-outputs.mk and generated headers
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 16:58:59 GMT
On 03 Jun 2013, at 9:12 AM, Guenter Knauf <fuankg@apache.org> wrote:

> I really dont like this; this gen_test_char.c thingy is one of the problems we have with
cross-compiling, and from my view it is not needed.
> If you look at the source of gen_test_char.c you can see that it usually includes the
APR/APU headers only for getting some defines which are in ctype.h of each and every platform
- so if we dont have these defines there, or no ctype.h at all for a platform, we simply can
not support this platform.
> Then gen_test_char.c is kinda matured, and has not received any significant updates,
so the output of gen_test_char was probably identical over the past 10+ years (ok, I've not
actually checked the svn logs, so I might be wrong). I believe we could just check in the
result test_char.h into svn, and if we ever have to change it we can re-generate it with gen_test_char
and update in svn; we do similar with the regex headers in httpd which also were a bit problematic
because of different flex versions, and I think this works fine.

It makes sense to me to check in a stable copy of apr_escape_test_char.h, and then provide
the gen_test_char tool to rebuild the code but not necessary force anybody to run gen_test_char
while (cross) compiling.

Will check in what I have come up with.

Regards,
Graham