apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr / apr-util roadmap
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2013 02:50:14 GMT
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:16:30 +0200
olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de> wrote:

> OK, so it seems apr-1 and apr-utils will be around the next years.
>
> For you as background why I ask:
>
> For nearly a decade apr and apr-utils are handled on FreeBSD together
> as a single port and we started a discussion to separate them into two
> ports.

Given that apr+apr-util will be a single library with version 2.0,
it might not make sense to split it.  What does make sense to split
off is whether you want to ship the various apr_{feature}-1.so files
so that they keep a dependency on the libraries they bind to.  E.g.
apr_ldap-1.so should only be installed when openldap (or your ldap
provider) is also installed, but there is no reason to demand that
openldap is unconditionally installed whenever apr is desired.