apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject build-outputs.mk and generated headers
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 21:34:10 GMT
Hi all,

I have been putting together an apr_escape API based on the escaping and unescaping functions
in httpd's util.c. So far so good. This code depends on the generation of a file called test_char.h,
which is generated at build time by a small bit of code called gen_test_char.c. Httpd handles
this bit fine, I need to reproduce this in the APR build.

The part I am really struggling with is adding the dependency on test_char.h to the Makefile,
I cannot work it out.

The file that defines what targets depend on what source and headers is build-outputs.mk,
which is in turn generated by a custom python script called build/gen-build.py. This python
script depends on a file called build.conf. Neither the python script nor build.conf are documented.

Adding the encoding/test_char.h header to build.conf's headers section doesn't seem to make
any difference, the header is always ignored. I think the script is trying to be clever and
detecting that this header doesn't physically exist (yet) and so leaves it off the dependency
list, which tells make not to generate the dependency (handled separately by Makefile.in),
which causes the build to fail as the generated header file does not exist.

Can anyone shed some light on how I might add an explicit dependency to build-outputs.mk?

Regards,
Graham