apr-dev mailing list archives

From TROY.LIU 劉春偉 <TROY....@DELTAWW.COM.CN>
Subject 答复: apr_palloc is not thread safe
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 14:45:14 GMT
It was my fault to misunderstood apr pool.
My ill design was "each thread will create a condition variable with a global pool".
Temporarily I put my apr_thread_cond_create into mutex lock, and my server has been running
well for hours.
Next I prepare to let each thread create its own pool.

Thanks for your explanation.

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Graham Leggett [mailto:minfrin@sharp.fm]
发送时间: 2013年5月31日 19:07
收件人: TROY.LIU 劉春偉
抄送: Philip Martin; dev@apr.apache.org; modules-dev@httpd.apache.org
主题: Re: apr_palloc is not thread safe

On 31 May 2013, at 6:15 AM, TROY.LIU 劉春偉 <TROY.LIU@DELTAWW.COM.CN> wrote:

> Thanks for reply, I got it.  Now the problem is my APIs does not expose apr_pool_t to
user like apr,  so my APIs are not thread safe.

The typical way you use a pool is that pools are arranged logically in a hierarchy. So a process
would have a pool, then one subpool of the process pool for each thread, and then one subpool
per unit of work (for example a connection handled by the thread).

It is not the job of pools to dictate to you how you should arrange your pools, that is your
job. Trying to add mutexes to an API that doesn't need to be threadsafe is a waste of resources,
so it is left up to you to decide how your pool usage remains threadsafe.

In the above example, there is no need for any locks, because the per thread pool would only
be used by that thread. You might have a pool representing a connection, and you might allow
that connection to be handled by any thread, but as long as just one thread handles that connection
at any given time you get away with not needing locks still.

It is only when the pool is attached to something that does span threads, such as a database
connection pool, that you start needing locks, in which case use the mutex APIs to use the
locks you need.

Again, APR gives you choice: do you use an in-process thread lock, or a machine wide process
lock, which you choose is up to your application's needs.

Regards,
Graham

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
message. [Delta Electronics, INC. China]