apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Reser <...@reser.org>
Subject Re: using new apr-util command-line make files... stuck on apr-iconv
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 18:44:29 GMT
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Subversion solved this problem for their use case many many moons ago.
> I haven't seen anyone from subversion offer that solution back to the
> APR project, although that project depends entirely on apr/-util
> building.  Why?  Because it solved one specific use case, and it can't
> just be 'dropped in' as the apr solution.  As you may have noticed,
> there are a number of build scripts authored by Mladen.  But here
> again, they were written to address his immediate need, so they aren't
> so easily maintained or terribly flexible.  PHP similarly created their
> own .js based autoconf for Windows, which also is not a drop in solution
> to the apr (-iconv/-util) puzzle.

Your maintainability issue is spot on.  The Subversion project
solution hasn't worked out so well.  Our Windows build is notoriously
difficult to use.  We've actually discussed replacing the build system
with cmake and there actually is a branch (though abandoned) with
scons.

Everyone would be better served with a generic solution that someone
else is maintaining than one offs produced by the project.