apr-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Smith <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: using new apr-util command-line make files... stuck on apr-iconv
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:41:16 GMT
On 3/30/2013 11:14 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Gregg Smith <gls@gknw.net
> <mailto:gls@gknw.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 3/30/2013 11:01 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>         To state the obvious, I'm probably doing something stupid.
>
>         I am using Visual Studio 2010 + SP1 (to get around an
>         incremental linking bug).
>
>         I have a directory with:
>
>         apr-1.4.x as apr
>         apr-util-1.5.x as apr-util
>         apr-iconv-1.1.x as apr-iconv
>
>         Within apr-util I try
>
>         l>nmake -f Makefile.win PREFIX=c:\apr1x USEMAK=1 ARCH="Win32
>         Debug" buildall checkall
>
>         This fails with
>
>                 cd ..\apr-iconv
>                 "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
>         10.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" -
>         nologo -f apriconv.mak    CFG="apriconv - Win32 Debug" RECURSE=0
>         NMAKE : fatal error U1052: file 'apriconv.mak' not found
>         Stop.
>
>         Sure enough, there is no apriconv.mak there.
>
>         Am I supposed to do something first to generate them, before I
>         can use the apr-util Makefile.win?
>

>     Unless you have VC6, use  apr-iconv-1.2.1-win32-src-r2.zip or
>     steal the .mak/.dep files from it.
>     http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi
>

> Thanks, I'll use that.
>
> Is there a reason we shouldn't commit the build support to svn?  (Is
> there something unique about that build support that warrants leaving
> it uncommitted?)

Probably not and I see they're in APR-Iconv/trunk which looks like where
the 1.2.1 tag came from. Why they're not included in tag I can only
guess. However, we do not want them landing in the Unix tarballs as
that's the way it's been for a long time. I believe Bill for the longest
time has been generating these win32 source packages on the side.

Which thinking about it, it will be interesting to see what happens in
APU 1.5.2 now that the .mak/dep files are in the branch.

Enjoy,

Gregg