apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Reser <...@reser.org>
Subject APR 1.3.x branch doesn't build properly with libtool 2.4
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 20:07:11 GMT
This came up recently on the svn-dev list.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-dev/201211.mbox/browser

It doesn't build because libtool.m4 that comes with libtool 2.4 uses:
LIBTOOL='$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool'

And APR doesn't define top_builddir.

In 1.4 and newer versions of APR this has been resolved by running a
sed command against build/libtool.m4 to replace top_builddir with
apr_builddir.

Specifically, this was done in r1125475 on apr-trunk.

Based on this google search quite a few people seem to have run into this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=apr+1.3+LIBTOOL+top_builddir

I realize that APR 1.3.x is probably not something you care about
terribly much since development has moved along.  However, Subversion
still has places where we recommend that in our instructions (e.g.
Subversion 1.7.x), which I'm going to get corrected, but obviously
can't correct the existing older versions in the wild.

In the interest of users though I think it might be nice to patch the
1.3.x branch so that it either builds with libtool 2.4 (e.g. adopting
the fix newer versions of APR have) or make buildconf refuse to work
with newer libtools.

Given that the fix is already available, I'd recommend simply applying the fix.