apr-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: APR 1.3.x branch doesn't build properly with libtool 2.4
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 22:26:02 GMT
On 21.11.2012 21:07, Ben Reser wrote:
> This came up recently on the svn-dev list.
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-dev/201211.mbox/browser
>
> It doesn't build because libtool.m4 that comes with libtool 2.4 uses:
> LIBTOOL='$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool'
>
> And APR doesn't define top_builddir.
>
> In 1.4 and newer versions of APR this has been resolved by running a
> sed command against build/libtool.m4 to replace top_builddir with
> apr_builddir.
>
> Specifically, this was done in r1125475 on apr-trunk.
>
> Based on this google search quite a few people seem to have run into this:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=apr+1.3+LIBTOOL+top_builddir
>
> I realize that APR 1.3.x is probably not something you care about
> terribly much since development has moved along.  However, Subversion
> still has places where we recommend that in our instructions (e.g.
> Subversion 1.7.x), which I'm going to get corrected, but obviously
> can't correct the existing older versions in the wild.
>
> In the interest of users though I think it might be nice to patch the
> 1.3.x branch so that it either builds with libtool 2.4 (e.g. adopting
> the fix newer versions of APR have) or make buildconf refuse to work
> with newer libtools.

I backported a few build fixes to 1.3.x. I'm not very confident though
that there will be enough momentum for a release, but at least there are
1.3 svn revisions now, that you can refer people to:

r1412309: buildconf fixes including the one above
r1412318: apr_common.m4 fixes
r1412321: Updates for config.guess and config.sub
r1412330: Makefile.in fixes

Regards,

Rainer