apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: crypt_r versus macosx
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:18:46 GMT
On 8 Sep 2012, at 13:46, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, on platforms where OpenSSL is installed in a usual location, you only need
>
> --with-crypto --with-openssl
>
> Why does it work like this?  APR-Util supports either NSS or OpenSSL
> libraries (or presumably others in the future) and forces you to
> choose which one.

At no point are you forced to choose which one, you can choose one, either or both.

A packager would compile both so the end user can choose at runtime which library to use.

A developer would choose both so that the unit tests that test cross compatibility would run.

> Adding "Specify the crypto library using --with-openssl or --with-nss"
> to the "Crypto was requested but no crypto library was enabled"
> message will definitely help.

+1.

> Possibly defaulting to --with-openssl if --with-crypto is requested
> but neither library is specified would be fine.

Ideally have them all defaulted to on, however my understanding is that "default on" wasn't
a good thing for crypto code. (would he happy if this proves not to be needed, default on
is easier for end users)

Regards,
Graham