apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: crypt_r versus macosx
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:23:17 GMT
On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 8 Sep 2012, at 13:46, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, on platforms where OpenSSL is installed in a usual location, you only need
>>
>> --with-crypto --with-openssl
>>
>> Why does it work like this?  APR-Util supports either NSS or OpenSSL
>> libraries (or presumably others in the future) and forces you to
>> choose which one.
>
> At no point are you forced to choose which one, you can choose one, either or both.
>
> A packager would compile both so the end user can choose at runtime which library to
use.

> A developer would choose both so that the unit tests that test cross compatibility would
run.

>> Adding "Specify the crypto library using --with-openssl or --with-nss"
>> to the "Crypto was requested but no crypto library was enabled"
>> message will definitely help.
>
> +1.
>
>> Possibly defaulting to --with-openssl if --with-crypto is requested
>> but neither library is specified would be fine.
>
> Ideally have them all defaulted to on, however my understanding is that "default on"
wasn't a good thing for crypto code. (would he happy if this proves not to be needed, default
on is easier for end users)

Enabling a particular crypto library by default would only be done if
--with-crypto was requested.  The global default (no crypto) wouldn't
change.  But if you enable the crypto feature you could avoid having
to specify a particular implementation, unless the search path had to
be overridden.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/