apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Build of libapritil-1.lib failed on Windows using VS2008
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:46:55 GMT
On 7/26/2012 4:23 PM, Prakash Reddy Bande wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we are using apr in multi threaded environment, what is a better choice? Static libs
or dlls?

Red herring.

If you are using apr from multiple invocations of a process, or from multiple
processes at once, a shared apr dll wins an advantage; the code/static data
is loaded once into memory for all consumers (provided it is the same file
at the same path).

If your application is a library that must coexist in another process space,
which also uses apr, you either need to use /their/ build of the .dll (e.g.
an identical build based on the same msvcrXXX version), or link statically.