apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1308135 - in /apr/apr-util/branches/1.4.x: ./ CHANGES crypto/apr_crypto.c
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 21:29:28 GMT
On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 17:22, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 01 Apr 2012, at 11:13 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> These two backports today were reckless. Both of them were not
>> "touchless" to use your term. And worse: that fact was not documented
>> in the log message. "Backport" is all it said. Not what revision was
>> backported. Not that other changes were made beyond that
>> (unidentified) revision.
>
> What about svn:mergeinfo?

So? Do I need to run 'svn diff' on every commit to see what happened?
If you're arguing that, then don't add a log message. Leave it blank.
Make people run diff on every change to see what happened.

The simple fact is that branches need to be held to a higher standard
than trunk. We don't do random development on branches. We simply
backport changes. The log message should note WHAT was backported. (I
have edited the log message for today's two backports, so they now
reflect what happened in those commits)

svn:mergeinfo records the backports, but it is hardly as informative
as the log message. Especially when other changes are blended in.

-g