apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Using autoconf/automake/libtool
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:18:36 GMT
On 16 Mar 2012, at 3:55 PM, Branko ─îibej wrote:

> I have no opinion about Maven, but one of the very, very scary aspects
> of automake is that it does not, in general, reliably track dependencies
> between modules in different directories. I "fondly" remember all the
> times I've had to type "make clean; make" just because automake assumes
> some dependencies don't exist. The root of the problem is that automake
> insists on recursive builds, which on top of all the other problems,
> make builds an order of magnitude slower.
>
> Not to mention that automake's default dist target does everything that
> the authors thought necessary, and nothing else. In other words, it
> works for exactly one type of project organization, which APR happens to
> not conform to -- because it has too many optional external dependencies.
>
> There's nothing stopping you from proving Greg and me wrong on these
> counts, however, I'd ask you to kindly do it on a branch. It'll be
> easier to clean up when you realize we're right. :)

I have used automake for many years (I believe if you write something, you must package it
properly, it doesn't matter how small or inconsequential one believes the code to be), and
have recently used it on a modular project similar to the kind of build you find with APR,
and haven't run into any of the problems you're describing.

When I get time to do this (not soon), it will definitely be on a branch, and I am definitely
open to the possibility that it might not work. I just believe it's likely that these problems
have been fixed since we last tried.

Regards,
Graham