apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using autoconf/automake/libtool
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:55:33 GMT
On 16.03.2012 14:31, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2012, at 3:13 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>> Automake is one of the worst pieces of code I've ever had the misfortune to use.
I have a litany against it, that I don't want to type on my tablet right now :-P

>> Create a dist.sh script for creating distributions. That will get the repeatability
up. Or something like Subversion's release.py:
>>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/dist/
>>
>> But automake is absolutely not the answer.
>>
> I believe that rolling our own tool is an answer orders of magnitude worse.
>
> Over and over again, in the java world, I encounter people who have tried to reinvent
the maven-release-plugin, and every time without fail I discover these people have created
a broken script that works for them and nobody else.

I have no opinion about Maven, but one of the very, very scary aspects
of automake is that it does not, in general, reliably track dependencies
between modules in different directories. I "fondly" remember all the
times I've had to type "make clean; make" just because automake assumes
some dependencies don't exist. The root of the problem is that automake
insists on recursive builds, which on top of all the other problems,
make builds an order of magnitude slower.

Not to mention that automake's default dist target does everything that
the authors thought necessary, and nothing else. In other words, it
works for exactly one type of project organization, which APR happens to
not conform to -- because it has too many optional external dependencies.

There's nothing stopping you from proving Greg and me wrong on these
counts, however, I'd ask you to kindly do it on a branch. It'll be
easier to clean up when you realize we're right. :)

-- Brane