apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR and "portability" issues - /usr/include gets skipped by configure when apr is external
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:04:46 GMT
On 3/1/2012 6:55 PM, Michael Felt wrote:

> Note: I have no idea of what is in libapr or libaprutil - but I am concerned that they
> not going to be portable enough to use across different hardware/os platforms
> even those platforms are binary compatible. Also - maybe - the problems are limited to
> apr-1-config and apu-1-config. Here is hoping!

FWIW I've built APR on some 100 different combinations of OS major.minor
vs some dozen sun/intel/ibm/hp cpu architectures at one time or another.
AIX, HP/UX, Solaris, Linux, BSD, Darwin, Windows, etc etc etc.  Not BS2000,
and I'm missing a couple other esoteric, although I know it builds on those
from others folks experiences.

You need to get APR built, pay attention to ./configure output.  The only
AIX build I now deal with is xlc_r.

Then, you need to build APR-util, depending on APR, expat, various dbm and
and dbd providers, and recently openssl - which depends on zlib.

You'll only know if you are succeeding or failing by studying the ./configure
output, which should tell you what was detected and what detection failed.

APR is entirely portable.  It isn't our headache whether (in your example)
zlib is installed in a consistent way.  If you discover that a dependency
is not predictable you may need to create yet another dependency package.

View raw message