apr-dev mailing list archives

From grady player <gra...@mozy.com>
Subject Re: problem building apr-util 64 bit Mac OS X
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:31:25 GMT
after a little digging, it looks like the configure script is always adding a -m32 to the CFLAGS
section of the rules.mk file (line 44)

this would seem to be a bug to me, but I haven't yet figured out where it is pulling this
value from…
apr-1.4.5 seems to work fine

Grady Player
gradyp@mozy.com
gplayer@vmware.com
801 548 1371

On Feb 7, 2012, at 7:16 AM, grady player wrote:

> The reason is that having the concept of a fat binary (Universal was used to denote PPC/i386
fat) doesn't mean that everything compiled on a modern mac will contain both 32bit and 64
bit code…
> in fact apr-util build from configure && make all && make install seems
to always build 32 bit code….

> this is problematic if you are trying to build a static library that is used to link
a 32/64 (fat) application.
> the output from lipo:
>
> input file libaprutil-1.a is not a fat file
> Non-fat file: libaprutil-1.a is architecture: i386
>
> Grady Player
> gradyp@mozy.com
> gplayer@vmware.com
> 801 548 1371
>

> On Feb 6, 2012, at 5:51 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
>
>> On 6 Feb 2012, at 23:50, grady player <gradyp@mozy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently building a 32/64 bit version of apr by configuring and building
twice and combining the output with lipo, (apr-1.4.5)
>>> I am trying to accomplish the same thing with the 64-bit version with apr-util-1.4.1,
but all of my output seems to be i386 32bit,
>>> I am trying to configure and build with the following line:
>>>
>>> ./configure --target=x86_64 --prefix=`pwd`/64bit  --with-apr=`pwd`/../apr-1.4.5
CFLAGS="-m64" && make all && make install

>> Can you clarify why you're trying to explicitly build for a given architecture?
>>
>> MacOSX has the concept of a Universal Binary, containing builds for different architectures
in the same binary, and both MacOSX and APR support this by default out the box.

>> In other words, if you try a vanilla build of APR, MacOSX will ensure that all relevant
architectures get built, and the right code runs on the right platform.