apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Version of autoconf for releases?
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:45:18 GMT
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 07 Feb 2012, at 3:02 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> Then the use of autoconf 2.68 was premature.  Move back to autoconf
>> 2.64, which should be fine.  When it works cleanly with 2.68 we can
>> move forward again.
>
> According to http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/, autoconf v2.68 was released in September
2010, which is now 15 months old and counting. The autoconf project has not made a release
since, so I conclude from that the people who make autoconf are happy with it's operation.

> This means if we are seeing warnings, it's probably our fault, and is something we should
look at and fix in our build environment. Warnings today are tomorrows errors, so we're going
to have to fix them eventually anyway.

I agree 100%.   And hopefully we also agree that the order should be

1. make the fixes to our code
2. start using autoconf v2.68

Also, that's not a showstopper for a release, so an RM should use the
known-compatible version of autoconf for new releases until any
glitches are resolved.