apr-dev mailing list archives

From grady player <gra...@mozy.com>
Subject Re: problem building apr-util 64 bit Mac OS X
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:16:29 GMT
The reason is that having the concept of a fat binary (Universal was used to denote PPC/i386
fat) doesn't mean that everything compiled on a modern mac will contain both 32bit and 64
bit code…
in fact apr-util build from configure && make all && make install seems to
always build 32 bit code….

this is problematic if you are trying to build a static library that is used to link a 32/64
(fat) application.
the output from lipo:

input file libaprutil-1.a is not a fat file
Non-fat file: libaprutil-1.a is architecture: i386

Grady Player
gradyp@mozy.com
gplayer@vmware.com
801 548 1371

On Feb 6, 2012, at 5:51 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2012, at 23:50, grady player <gradyp@mozy.com> wrote:
>
>> I am currently building a 32/64 bit version of apr by configuring and building twice
and combining the output with lipo, (apr-1.4.5)
>> I am trying to accomplish the same thing with the 64-bit version with apr-util-1.4.1,
but all of my output seems to be i386 32bit,
>> I am trying to configure and build with the following line:
>>
>> ./configure --target=x86_64 --prefix=`pwd`/64bit  --with-apr=`pwd`/../apr-1.4.5 CFLAGS="-m64"
&& make all && make install

> Can you clarify why you're trying to explicitly build for a given architecture?
>
> MacOSX has the concept of a Universal Binary, containing builds for different architectures
in the same binary, and both MacOSX and APR support this by default out the box.

> In other words, if you try a vanilla build of APR, MacOSX will ensure that all relevant
architectures get built, and the right code runs on the right platform.