apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1240475 - in /apr/apr/branches/1.4.x: ./ include/apr_errno.h
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:26:57 GMT
On Saturday 04 February 2012, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> > Read the full comment in the file (the diff context is too
> > small).  There is a huge range of error codes reserved for the
> > application. Out of this range, subversion already had some
> > ranges reserved. Now HTTPD has some other range reserved. There
> > is still plenty of space for other applications.
>
> It still doesn't make much sense.
>
>   1. you can't add reservations in apr 1.x - that would be a
> semantic change reserved for apr 2.x
>
>   2. it's not apr_*.h job to document userspace (and yes, if svn
> ranges are defined here, that too was an error).  These surely
> belong in http_/ap_*.h header space, no?

I guess the comment in apr_errno.h is only informational. In most
cases it doesn't matter if two applications use the same error codes.
But it won't hurt to have the ranges used by the two biggest apr
consumers documented, even if it's not an API guarantee.

But I don't care much. Just remove the whole comment block if you
think it's a bad idea.