apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1237078 - /apr/apr/trunk/tables/apr_hash.c
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:23:28 GMT
On 29.01.2012 16:34, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 02:22 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
>> we could run the hash value produced by hashing the strings through
>> the hash function twice

This is overkill. If the current hash function isn't good enough,
running stuff through it twice isn't going to help. I posit that the
results are good enough now, since the default implementation isn't
meant to be cryptographically secure, let alone unattackable. Spending
more time grinding on the same set of bits isn't going to make a badly
designed application any more robust.

-- Brane