apr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Darroch <chr...@pearsoncmg.com>
Subject Re: Hash collision vectors in APR?
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:04:47 GMT
Bojan:

> On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 15:29 -0800, Chris Darroch wrote:
>> Without having tested explicitly, it looks like the default case for
>> modern Linux is APR_HAS_RANDOM=1 and DEV_RANDOM=/dev/random,
>> with /dev/random blocking when there's no entropy.
>
> Don't think so (run on my F-16 machine, without passing any options to
> that effect):
> ---------------
> checking for entropy source... /dev/urandom
> ---------------
>
> If you look at the test, it has:
> ---------------
> for f in /dev/arandom /dev/urandom /dev/random; do
> ---------------
>
> So, non-blocking is preferred on Linux for sure.

   That's good -- I guess the question is what happens if /dev/random
is chosen, though, either automagically or through an explicit choice
with --with-devrandom=/dev/random.

   In the latter case, at least, I suppose it might be acceptable for
apr_hash_make() blocks, since you picked /dev/random and presumably
know what you're doing.

Chris.

--
GPG Key ID: 088335A9
GPG Key Fingerprint: 86CD 3297 7493 75BC F820  6715 F54F E648 0883 35A9