apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1237078 - /apr/apr/trunk/tables/apr_hash.c
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:15:31 GMT
On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 09:59 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> With my latest patch, I get that fixed (i.e. the final hash is
> perturbed a lot better).

Hmm, different problems emerge. The hash then has a tendency to produce
either all odd or even indexes (i.e. lower bits used to address
buckets).

I think this whole idea of hashing the hash is costing us in loss of
randomness. Which makes sense. We just hashed a string and reduced the
number of its bits significantly. Then we took that (which is also
always the same length) and reduced it again. In the process, we
overcooked.

I think I'll need to work on a different approach.

--
Bojan