apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release apr-util 1.4.1
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 03:25:53 GMT
Reposting for Graham's benefit, who likely skimmed over this;

On 12/11/2011 1:49 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:

> - Windows Build system:
>   - all *.dep and *.mak files are missing
>   - in test/testutildll.dsp the probably obsolete string "NT" is
>     by the possibly similarly obsolete "9x"
>   - change of base addresses in some dsp file (might be OK)

Bill asks, can you be more specific on the 3rd bullet?  Because we aim
for binary compatibility, that would be a (regrettable) regression.  As
I was traveling, I had no chance to look at this candidate.

Yes, 9x is most certainly obsolete, each of apr, and apr-util, moved to
NT-only design constraints, as of 1.4.x release trees.  It's old news for
APR, but only just realized for apr-util.  NT was once the exception, now
9x is the (absurd) exception.

On the first bullet, as I wrote last week while traveling, the initial
1.X.0 -win32-src exports are entirely dependent upon checking in all of
the crap that goes along with modifying sources of generated output, in
the same way that we don't check in ./configure crap.

Once 1.X.0 (or this time, 1.4.1) actually works, checking in a set of
.mak/.dep files which won't change (much) over the lifetime of the stable
branch is trivial.  I think I commented to this point while traveling.

But if there is noone else who actually cares to this point, I certainly
won't be bothered.  I certainly wouldn't be here if I continued to let
things like unfinished API's or missing files bother me.

I'll check in these files for potential inclusion in a 1.4.2, as folks
decided this mostly works now.  But we really can't persist this mess for
Netware or Win32 going on to APR 2.0.  Seems overtime for Guenter and I,
or other fresh blood, to get on the task of generating appropriate build
files automagically.

Bill