apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Emulation of /dev/zero on Windows
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 21:11:28 GMT
On 8/12/2011 11:19 AM, sidinsd wrote:

> I just read the doc for "MapViewOfFile" and I quote it below;
>
> If a file mapping object is backed by the paging file (CreateFileMapping is
> called with the hFile parameter set to INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE), the paging
> file must be large enough to hold the entire mapping. If it is not,
> MapViewOfFile fails. The initial contents of the pages in a file mapping
> object backed by the paging file are 0 (zero).

Precisely.  But the pages returned are from the unallocated memory, never
allocated memory!  Think of this as a cross-process calloc() where you
haven't named a specific backing store.  This is true on unix as well.

APR offers no means to access memory allocated by other processes, if that
is what you are trying to accomplish.