> On both cases I imagine the server cleanup (apr_pool_destroy) should
> be performed after the server loop, and not in the signal handler,
> right?

Correct. Your signal handler should just set a flag and return.  The list of functions which can be safely run from a signal handler is very short, and malloc/free are not among them.

b) Shall I set a "keep-running" flag (using mutexes, i.e, a
synchronized flag) for shutdown on the SIGINT handler?

Not mutexes.  There is no need and the pthread mutex functions (which APR is implemented on top of on UNIX) are not async-signal safe.  Here is my basic pattern:

int die = 0;
int signalHandler(signal)
{
  die = signal;