apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr, pools and NetWare
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:07:08 GMT
On 7/27/2011 6:24 PM, NormW wrote:

>> APR_DECLARE(apr_pool_t *) apr_pool_parent_get(apr_pool_t *pool)
>> {
>> #ifdef NETWARE
>>     /* On NetWare, don't return the global_pool, return the application pool
>>        as the top most pool */
>>     if (pool->parent == global_pool)
>>         return pool;
>>     else
>> #endif
>>     return pool->parent;
>> }
>
> Cannot see how NetWare can escape this loop if apr_pool_parent_get()
> returns the same pool passed in to the function.

That Netware apr_pool_parent_get() behaves differently is a problem.
Perhaps apr_pool_parent_get() should return NULL where it is at the
top level pool, irrespective of any special needs internally.

We've illustrated this as a design pattern in any number of places
(svn guys, please confirm if you do this, too?) so you would think
there are other places code could be uniquely broken on Netware
that are outside of our visibility.

Other thoughts?