apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Bert Huijben" <b...@qqmail.nl>
Subject RE: Researched and adapted pre-vista/2008 windows symlinks
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:22:40 GMT

I don't think we should implement 'fake symlinks' for Windows as suggested here (and a few
times on the Subversion list). That deliberately introduce a compatibility problem with the
real symlinks that are supported on Windows Vista and later. And because we use an alternative
symlink, we would have to maintain the not-real-thing forever and can't start supporting the
real thing. And normal Windows applications would do everything in a different way.

Junctions are the Windows equivalent of the unix 'mount' and we don't support mount on unix
either.

I don't understand why on a standard Windows a normal user can mount directories as junctions,
while a normal user can't use symlinks but that shouldn't make us introduce apr-symlinks that
are incompatible with Windows-symlinks.

E.g. how are you supposed to mix usage of a directory with applications that can handle real
symlinks?

Using junctions as symlinks is only nice if you just use one application/environment.

Apr is a platform abstraction layer, used for real world applications that integrate with
the OS.
Solutions like the faked symlinks belong in libraries like cygwin that try to create a sub-operating
system, incompatible with the host system.

+1 on implementing real Windows symlink support though.

	Bert