apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compiling on cygwin
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:02:16 GMT
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Antonio Vieiro
<antonio@antonioshome.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to compile apr-1.4.5 on cygwin 5.1 [1] with thread support
> (pthreads) so I'm doing a
>
>    ./configure --enable-threads=pthread
>
> But configure says that apr will be non threaded:
>
>    checking for main in -ltruerand... no
>    checking for library containing modf... none required
>
>    Checking for Threads...
>    APR will be non-threaded  <--- D'oh!
>    checking for sigsuspend... yes
>
> My question is: is it possible to build apr with thread support on
> cygwin. If so, how?
>
> If this is not possible, should I try with mingw?

I don't know about APR capabilities when built with Cygwin.  Building
with MinGW uses APR's thread implementation for Windows, so yes
threads will be supported.

Whether to build APR with Cygwin or MinGW should follow the general
Cygwin/MinGW choice:

* Unix-y code in your application that requires emulation?  Cygwin
* No Unix-y code in your application?  MinGW

Note that you can't build APR as a shared library with 1.4.5, but that
will hopefully be resolved in the next release.  (That's already
supported in trunk.)